Sunday, October 17, 2010

Google TV

Obviously it's been awhile since I've posted on here and look what's happened in the meantime- Google came out with a product that's almost exactly like what I described in my last post. Google TV will start shipping this week and I couldn't be more excited.

Google TV is a new platform that offers almost everything I asked for in my last post but of course things I didn't even consider. Namely, the integration with an Android handset. This is huge. During Google I/O 2010 a demo was shown where you could be browsing the web on your Android phone and then push the content to the TV. During the demo they shared a YouTube clip but I imagine it can be any type of web content. I can think of several times a day I would take advantage of this. How many times have you found something you wanted to share with someone in the room while you were browsing and had to hand them your phone or laptop? Now you just push it up to the big screen and everyone can see it.

There isn't much more to describe how it works it's better if you just go here and see it for yourself. What I really want to talk about of course is the tech.

Here's the big news: Google TV has Intel inside. This means Google has ported Android to run on Intel's x86 architecture versus the ARM processors it had been originally been written for that power smartphones. I wonder what this will open up for the future, Android on Intel powered tablets? A few auto makers' infotainment systems are powered by Atom. Android powering your car's ICE system? Yes please.

It is going to be very interesting. I can't wait to see how everyday people react to this. Check out the video above for a good run down of Google TV from Best Buy. (full disclosure: I work for Best Buy but they have no part in this blog)


No comments:

Post a Comment